Monday Meals--pancakes

I don't know about you, but I have 1 child who is super picky about what he eats. It drives us crazy. There have been many tears trying to get him to eat stuff at the table, and that's just from my husband and I! The most frustrating thing is that he will very rarely even TRY something. This is frustrating beyond belief, as you can well imagine. In any case, he doesn't get any special meals and often goes to bed having only eaten applesauce, or a slice of bread.

BUT! This kid will eat pancakes! And, in fact, all 3 kids will eat them!!! That's a big score right there, amiright???? Pancakes is one of my most favorite breakfast foods to eat. I think I could easily eat pancakes every day. When I had to stop eating grains I was so discouraged. My favorite thing to eat in the mornings, or for brunch, or at a restaurant I could no longer eat. I sent myself on a mission to find pancakes I could eat. After about 5 years I do believe I have found the right recipe.

The thing with grain free pancakes is it's hard for them to get all big and fluffy. And, of course there's always the change of texture. I have tried MANY different recipes, and the one I'm going to share today I believe is the best of both worlds. (And, I'm still playing with it a bit.) The starch in this recipe is garbanzo beans (a.k.a. chickpeas). These little beans, when ground up, can be used almost at a 1:1 with all-purpose wheat flour. You just add a little less. I have found I can use garbanzo bean flour in place of all-purpose wheat flour at a very good success rate. These pancakes are really tasty. It's the closest I've come to the fluffy texture of "real" pancakes, they cook up really well (this can be a tricky thing with grain free pancakes) and are a cinch to make. Oh, and garbanzo bean flour is REALLY cheap. It's by far the cheapest non-grain flour I've found. Without further ado, here's the recipe. I found it on Pinterest so will link the the title to the original recipe.

GARBANZO BEAN FLOUR PANCAKES:
Dry ingredients:
1 c garbanzo bean flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Wet ingredients:
1 c milk (I use almond, any kind is fine)
1 large egg
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat a skillet or griddle over a medium flame, or warm an electric skillet to 350* F.

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry and beat with a wire whisk just to combine. There should still be a few lumps in the batter.
4. Ladle, by the 1/4 cup full, the batter onto the lightly-greased, hot surface. When air bubbles appear along the edge of the pancakes, flip them over, and brown the other side.
5. You can keep your pancakes warm in your oven set to the lowest temp and serve them all up nice and hot!

This recipe says it makes 8 4-in diameter pancakes, but I'm able to get more.

Enjoy and bon appetit!

Comments

  1. Have you tried using carbonated water (like seltzer)? The bubbles may make it more fluffy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who are We?

To Be Thankful: Friends

Another First Day!