Monday Meal: Labor Day food!

Today is Labor Day in the US of A! Being away from any and all family we weren't entirely sure how we would celebrate. However, a family from church (who we've become friends) are going to join us at our house today for a picnic, although I'm guessing we'll eat inside as we have nothing to eat on outside!

My husband is going to marinade and grill a roast, we'll have French fries, baked beans, a salad and dessert. I wanted to share my baked beans recipe with you. I LOVE baked beans. It's something I have always loved to eat, however, when my eating had to change I found that all canned baked beans come full of ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, soy, cornstarch, wheat, etc. Folks, baked beans are NOT hard to make, and there is not reason to have all these crazy ingredients in them! In reality, these are simply fillers anyway.

I was on the search for a baked bean recipe that I could make from scratch. A friend of mine passed one to me. I have tweaked it more to our liking. The original recipe called for more sugar and ketchup than we liked. However, every single time I have made these baked beans they are met with rave reviews. I always see the pot of beans and think, "we will have so many leftovers" and then we end up with very little or no leftovers!

Note: The original recipe called for dry beans, and had directions to re hydrating them, etc. I find this to be too much work. Plus, making dry beans soft again can be tricky and doesn't always work out the way it should. So, I simply use plan ol' canned Great Northern Beans. Takes the guess work out and makes it really easy. And, as with any recipe (unless you're baking and even then there's wiggle room, in my opinion...) you can adjust measurements as your family likes!

NEW ENGLAND BAKED BEANS

80 oz Great Northern Beans
1 lb thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c ketchup
1/3 c molasses
1/3 c maple syrup (the real kind...)
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Directions:
1. In a Dutch oven cook bacon until crispy. Drain fat on paper towels; reserve 2 Tbsp of drippings. Saute onions in bacon fat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, syrup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
2. Drain beans, place in Dutch oven; stir everything together well. Cover and bake at 300* for 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 min. Yields 12 servings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who are We?

To Be Thankful: Friends

Another First Day!