Oh to be Thankful: Water

On Thursdays I'm going to talk about something I'm thankful for. It might be something (someone) just general, or could be from something specific. I read the book "1000 Gifts" by Ann Voskamp a few years ago and was challenged to see life through thankful eyes. I'm usually someone who can always see the silver lining. However, life has a way of getting us down, doesn't it? We can get so caught up in the details that we forget to see the bigger plan God has for our lives. I can get very bogged down in potty accidents, spilled drinks, a dirty house and forget that God has blessed me with 3 precious children.

Today I am thankful for water. Such a basic thing, right? However, it is the most important thing, besides air, for us to live. And, I believe, in the USA we take water for granted. I grew up in a 3rd world country. We collected all the rain water into our in-ground cistern, then the water was pumped by hand into huge barrels that were hooked up to pipes that supplied water into the house. In Africa (at least where we were) there are only 2 seasons--rainy and dry. And, they are just that--during rainy season it POURS rain every single day (usually); during dry season, you won't see a drop of rain for months. The importance of the cistern is that the water we collected during rainy season had to last us all of dry season. You learn at a very young age how to conserve water. You do not take water for granted. You know if the cistern goes dry it could be a very dangerous thing for you.

Also, while growing up, to have drinkable water we had to boil it and then filter it before we could drink it. Dirty water can give you issues in a hurry. You learn very early what is safe and what is unsafe water to drink. You do not take drinking water for granted.

This summer has been HOT and DRY. We live in the city so we have a seemingly endless supply of water. Every time I turn on the faucet, the shower or flush the toilet there's water, and plenty of it. I can get a drink from the faucet without fear of getting sick after drinking. The lack of rain this summer (and the heat!!) has reminded me very much of my childhood. It got me thinking about how if I was in a different part of the world I would be conserving my water. I wouldn't be doing tons of laundry, I wouldn't take long showers, I definitely wouldn't be filling the kids' little swimming pool for them to cool off.

Thank you, Lord, for water. Thank you that I live in a country that has plenty of safe water. Thank you, for allowing me to live in a country that didn't so I see the importance of what I have here. 

Water. It's so basic and yet, if we didn't have it, think of all the things you COULDN'T do. Don't forget to give thanks today for water!

Comments

  1. I often think about how Mom's experience was so different from ours, what with all the hard work and extra things to worry over. I am that much more thankful for our conveniences when I think about all Mom had to do without or work extra hard for! Water is a gift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who are We?

To Be Thankful: Friends

Another First Day!