Reaching Goals!

Part of raising kids is getting them to set goals and accomplish them. I don't know if I've mentioned it in my blog, but I have talked about it a lot how reading was a struggle for Cora over 1st grade. Not so much a struggle in her knowing HOW to read, but rather a struggle in getting her TO read for me. She would read for anyone else, but when she and I sat down to do school she often acted like she was reading Chinese, or something. It was so frustrating, and David and I weren't sure what to do to get her over the hump. Then, Cora kept asking if she could get her ears pierced! DING! The light bulb went off and we saw we had our "thing" to get her over the hump. We told her that if she wanted to get her ears pierced she need to read 10 books. We encouraged her to try to do this before school started, making it a summer activity/goal. We picked out books for her and she got to it. We were impressed with her sudden ability to read (sigh...) and wouldn't you know she reached her goal with flying colors?

We thought it would be fun for her to have her aunt, girl cousins and sister involved in the process, and it all happened to work out that while we were in OH for vacation 2 weeks ago. My sister told me about a place that does all sorts of fun things with girls (make-overs, manis/pedis, bday parties, and ear piercing, as well as who knows what else!), so I made the appointments, and we had so much fun! My oldest niece, Sophia, and Rebekah got manicures while Cora and my other niece, Hadassah, got their ears pierced! My sister and I had so much fun being with our daughters/nieces and watching them interact and have fun with each other. Quincy, my newest nephew came along for the ride, but he didn't seem to mind being the only boy! The dads had fun with Ben and my other 2 nephews!

After we got the girls gussied up we went to Starbucks for a treat and then went to the Disney store to look around. Such a fun time! I'm loving this new stage I'm finding us in, where we can DO stuff outside of keeping kids out of trouble in the house! I love having the freedom of taking them places and actually having fun doing so! Here are some photos of our time out!

This girl loves EVERYTHING girly! She also wanted her ears pierced, but we'll wait until she's a bit older!

My beautiful niece, Sophia! I love that she loves girly things and also can get dirty with the best of them! I can't believe she'll be 12 and is starting 6th grade (today!)!!

Our little stud muffin along for the ride!

Somehow Bekah knew just what to do...I have not taught her this...The girls got glitter sprayed in their hair, shimmery "tattoos" on their cheeks and could pick between smelling like cotton candy or a cupcake! 

Haddie getting ready...They employees were very good. They had 2 girls do the piercing so both ears were done at the same time. And, they were quick and fast and kept it all very upbeat!

Isn't she adorable? I love the little pink flowers she chose. I also love her freckles! She and Cora are 1 year and a day apart and are best friends. I love watching them together and it was super special they could do this with each other.

At this point I think her face is saying, "um...what have I gotten myself into?"

She cried, hard. I felt so bad. BUT! I do love that she picked soccer balls for her earrings. She LOVES soccer! And she did calm down after a few minutes and DID say it was all worth it.

BFFs!

All of our precious gems!

My sister and her 2 beauties!

Me and mine

Keepin' it real, folks. Keepin' it real! 

Comments

  1. This was a day for The Books! Love making memories like this with you! xoxo
    - Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who are We?

To Be Thankful: Friends

Another First Day!