Spilled Milk and Tears

Well, it was ice cream, really. But, there's milk in that so I say it counts. Let's start at the beginning...

Yesterday was a rough day. When I say rough, I mean bad attitude, crying, yelling, screaming, and then add the children to that, and well, it was hard. Yep, I did all of those things. And yes, I apologized to my children, which is a very humbling thing to do, by the way...After a rough morning I thought our snack time after rest time (which was just all 3 children wallering on me on the couch while they insisted they were watching their show...) could be fun. You know, bring some levity to the day. We needed it.

We had some left-over-from-the-4th-of-July ice cream in the freezer. 1 kind was vanilla and 1 kind was peach. When I was making both kinds the kids were begging for a taste of the peach, but I said it would be better once frozen. Well, on the 4th they ended up not getting any so I thought they would get a kick out of it now. Plus, I said they could eat it on the living room floor while they watched a longer "Backyardigans." I even quickly made up some new hot fudge sauce! SUPER mom that I am. Ahem...

While they quietly (which is always a cause for suspicion) ate their ice cream, I came into our office to do some mindless looking around on Facebook. Cora, our oldest, comes to me complaining about the peaches. I get her situated, and then she come back to tell me that Ben is putting ice cream on the rug!!!!!!!! WHAT??????? I go out to the living room and there are blobs of ice cream (surrounding peaches) all over the rug. I mean, all over. I was so angry!!!!!!!! I lost it!!! I cried and yelled and told them to take their bowls to the kitchen and get off the rug and go upstairs! It was the proverbial straw.  I had had enough for the day.

Well, because I was in such a great place mentally I decided the only and best way to clean this rug was to take it outside and hose it off. That's right. I hauled it out to our front porch (why hide from the neighbors?), hung it over the side and turned the hose on full blast. I then got my homemade laundry detergent and flung it on the rug so that it would at least smell good when it's dry. After the whole rug was dripping wet and 1/2 of it had soap on it I realized there was a better spot to have it hanging. Did you know that a WET rug is WAY heavier than a DRY one? It is. However, not to be out-smarted by said rug, I dragged it across our front porch and slung it over another side. This was a way better spot...just wish I'd thought of it before getting out the hose. The whole thing is now drooped over the side of the porch and thankfully no longer dripping. I'm sure it'll have to be outside all day tomorrow (Lord, please don't let it rain!!!!), and I sure hope it's not smelly when it dries!

Yep. Sometimes it's OK to cry over spilled milk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who are We?

To Be Thankful: Friends

Another First Day!