Summer time!

YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! It's the summer!!!! My most favoritest (I know that's not a word, but I'm using it anyway!) season! Probably because I grew up ON the equator. I swear my body has never quite adjusted to a 4 season environment even though I've now lived in such climate longer then I did the other. We have lots of plans for the summer--some doable, some lofty, and some we're hoping to accomplish! We have been proactive this summer and written down the things we hope to accomplish this summer including goals for all of us. And, how is it mid-June already?????? ACK!!!! Living in the snow belt there just doesn't seem to be enough summer for me before fall and WINTER come along.

The kids will be starting swim lessons on Monday, we have Ben and Bekah's birthdays next week, we'll be going to a minor league baseball game, a beach vacation, participating in our town's festivals they have all summer, and well, I'm sure there are many other things that will get thrown in. We're hoping to get to the zoo (free on Mondays for us!), do lots of ice cream-eating, family and friend togetherness and well...I just LOVE summer!

I'll talk about some of our summer goals later and share our different experiences as we have them. For now, I want to share with you a fun thing I did last summer and will do again this summer! Last spring my sister and I were talking about how anytime we get together in person, or on the phone, we end up talking about the kids...I mean, it's what our lives basically revolve around so it's only natural. However, we know we are more then just moms. We have other interests and enjoy doing things without our kids. My sister had the brilliant idea of reading a book together during the summer and then calling each other (we live 2 hours apart) 1x a week to discuss the book. This served 2 purposes, we were better able to keep up with each other's busy lives, forced us to call each other regularly (which might sound weird, but we both HATE the phone!) AND gave us a starting point to talk about something other than our kids.

Last summer we read "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp . Though we weren't totally into the book (a bit too poetic for us, although the content was GREAT and really helped us look at life with more gratitude, even the ugly things in life), I would say the best part was our (almost) weekly chats. In fact, we enjoyed it so much we decided to keep our phone conversations going throughout the rest of the year. Here we are, back to summer, and we have been looking forward to keeping our chats going and also reading another book.

This summer we'll be reading "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" by Rachel Held Evans. We read and discussed the first chapter last night. It's going to be a good read. I have already read the book, a few years ago, but am looking forward to reading it again and having someone to discuss it!

Might I challenge you to find someone to do this? It has been challenging to me and makes me read other than novels. And, I also like hearing the thoughts of my "baby" sister, who I find to be a much wiser woman then me most times.

HAPPY SUMMER everyone!!!!! I totally resonate with Olaf in his song...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who are We?

To Be Thankful: Friends

Another First Day!