Good for the Heart

Do you have a friend, or friends, who you don't get to see often (like with many years between visits) but when you do see each other it's as though time has not passed? I have several of those friends. Being a missionary kid, and then later a missionary, you learn to build deep, lasting friendships with people. You don't waste time with the fru-fru stuff, the surface information. You get deep. You learn about each other. After college I spent 2 years in Cameroon, Africa. I loved my time there. I was young, single and thought it would be a grand adventure. It was, but it was also a time that I look back on when I grew as a person. I made several really wonderful friends. Most of whom were older than me, but women of faith, each in her own journey with God. One thing you have to know is, when you leave the mission field you do not know when you'll see your friends again. And, honestly, you know you'll at least see them in heaven. So, when the opportunity arises to SEE these precious friends, you move heaven and earth and do everything you can to make a get-together happen.

Because of a wedding in a the large city just north of us (I don't know the bride or groom), several of my friends from my time in Cameroon were going to be at that wedding, and we got to see them!!!!!! Can I TELL you how excited I was???? No, probably not, but just know I was REALLY excited!!!

We started with my friend, Julia, who was on a short 7-week time State-side. She was ending her time in the US with the wedding and was able to stay with us for a few days. We had seen Julia almost 5 years ago when we first moved here, and she spent our first Thanksgiving in our house with us! Cora was only 20 months old, and I was newly pregnant (and so sick!!!) with Benjamin! It was great to see her again, and NOT be pregnant. The kids loved her, and it was fun for her to do life with us for a few days. I pray for her as she is back in Cameroon, ministering as a high school teacher for missionary and Cameroonian students.


While visiting with Julia, she mentioned that another friend of mine, Lucy, and her daughters would also be at the wedding!!! This was cause for MUCH excitement and jubilation because Lucy is Cameroonian. I had gotten to know her and her husband and 3 (at the time) children. Her husband is a pastor and also works for the Cameroonian government. Though you don't figure you'll see your passport country friends often, the chances of seeing friends from the country you ministered in are almost non-existent. I can not tell you how blessed I felt to have this wonderful opportunity. The last time I saw Lucy, her children were the ages of my kids now. When Julia pulled up with Lucy and her 2 daughters (1 is in university and 1 is a junior in HS) it was all I could do to not burst into tears of joy. I was so overwhelmed with thankfulness and joy to the Lord that I wasn't sure what to say. Lucy and I hugged each other tightly, and then held each other at arms' length and just looked at each other. She says to me, "Jeni. You have always been in my heart." I about lost it. Sigh. This woman. She is a pillar of faith, she is a wonderful wife and mother who serves the people in her church well. Little did I know when I first met her that I would share the same life as she has. I felt an even deeper connection with her. Her daughters, Helen and Joan, are beautiful and just as full of life and laughter as they were when they were 6 and 4! To see them grown into such lovely young ladies did my heart good. And, our kids just LOVED them all! It did so much to my momma heart, and to Lucy's as well, to see our children playing with each other (well, my kids showing her girls all of their favorite toys!). I can't tell you how many times I've dreamt and prayed that I would be able to introduce Lucy to my husband and kids. This time was so, so, so special.

We had dinner together (Julia was able to join us again!), and I made an all-American meal: hamburgers, hotdogs, salad, chips and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Lucy has made me numerous DELICIOUS Cameroonian meals, and I was excited to reciprocate in my own home. We said our good-byes. Not knowing if we'd see each other again this side of heaven. However, the Lord wasn't done with his blessings. We were able to see Lucy and Joan again on Sunday when they joined us for church!!! Wow. The blessings of the Lord are mysterious and wonderful. To sit in church with dear friends, and them getting to hear my husband share the Word of God. I just have no words as to how special that was. After church, it was a final good-bye. I have no idea when/if I'll see Lucy or her husband and kids again here on earth. But, I am so very thankful I'll see them, for sure, in heaven. And, until our paths cross again, I know I have a Cameroonian sister praying for me, and I for her. I'm grateful there is no real distance when the Lord is involved.



From Sunday to Wednesday of last week we ended our time with my friend, Liz. She and I were neighbors my first year in Cameroon and then stayed close friends my 2nd year. It had been 10 years since I had seen her, and she had never met David or the kids. It was a sweet time. Catching up with her, hearing about life on the mission field. Hearing her plans for her year-long furlough. Again, such a sweet time with a special friend. The kids loved hanging out with "Aunt Liz" too, and I told David at one point, "We need to have Liz come with us on all of our car trips!" HA! I was a little nervous about this visit, though I suppose that was silly. But, the last time I saw her we were both single. I've now been married and have kids, and I was worried we wouldn't have anything to connect about. I'm so glad I was wrong! Sure, we've both grown and changed in the last 10 years, but Liz is the same wonderful her, and hopefully, I am to some degree too, and we had just as much fun and laughter! Albeit our conversations were often interrupted by little people, but ah well! We managed!


Folks, God is good, all the time. Life happens, we all go through ups and downs. However, God never changes, and because of that true, deep friendships can remain. I am so thankful for the friends the Lord has blessed me with over the years, and I'm so grateful He allowed me to reconnect with these lovely ladies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who are We?

To Be Thankful: Friends

Another First Day!